Moldy Places and How to Clean Them
If you live in a humid environment, it is not uncommon to find mold in your house. They're basically fungus, and they can become a health issue, especially for those with allergies. And like rust, moldy can turn into a real issue if it's not dealt with immediately. Here are some of the moldy things and places you can find at home and how to clean them.
Number one on our list - that's bathroom wall, of course. Fungus thrives in humid environments, and your bathroom is one of the most humid places in the house. It's not uncommon to notice black spots growing on the bathroom wall, and you should get rid of them as soon as possible. But no worries - two tablespoons of borax with 1/4 cup white vinegar, and two cups of hot water in a bowl, mix them together and spray it on your wall. Scrub and wipe, and you're all set.
If you ever worked as a barista before, you would know the importance of keeping the coffee machine clean and dry. You need water to make coffee, and oftentimes, it gets trapped inside the machine and get moldy in the long run - and trust us, it does affect the taste of the coffee, among other things. It's not difficult to clean it though - mix water and white vinegar together in 1:1 ratio, run a cycle through it, and rinse it out in the end. Voila!
A fridge is a place that can get moldy easily yet often overlooked by some. If you think that low temperature can kill mold, then you're gravely mistaken - mold hibernate in freezing temperature, but it won't kill them. If you start seeing weird spots in the fridge, maybe it's time to give it a good clean. Again, vinegar is your answer - spray some white vinegar on the wall, then wipe it off. Rinse it with water and open the door to let it dry. Done.
Yes, things you leave in the bathroom also has a high chance of getting moldy - including your toothbrush, though it does happen more often with the electronic variants. Disgusting right? Maybe it's time to clean them. Yes, again, vinegar. Submerge your brush head in vinegar and rinse it off with water.
Have you spilled some drinks on a carpet? Well, that happens, but if not dealt with immediately, mold can also grow on your carpets. If you have small kids in the house, it is important that you get rid of it as soon as possible. The easiest way is, of course, with white vinegar - spray it on the carpet and give it a good scrub. Yes, a little elbow grease can go a long way.
Leather goods are not cheap, especially if you have a nice, fancy leather jacket. If they're not stored properly, mold can also grow on the leather surface, ruining the sleek look. But fret not - it is not too difficult to get rid of it. Wipe down the surface mold with a damp cloth, allow it to dry, then clean it thoroughly with leather cleaner. Store it properly in a dry, dark place, and for shoes, a little bit of shoe polish can go a long way.
Wooden Walls and Floors
Having mold on your wooden wall or floor can lead a long-term issue if not dealt with properly - given enough time, they can compromise the structural integrity of your house. If you start seeing fuzzy spots on your wooden walls or floors, time to give them a good wipe - vacuum the area for good measure, then use soap and water on stained wood, or bleach if it is raw wood.
Clothes cannot escape from that moldy fate if they were stored improperly. It's always a good idea to store clothes in dry, dark areas - however, if you come across some old moldy clothes, they might be salvageable still. The easiest way is hot water - wash the clothes in a hot cycle if possible; otherwise, vinegar and baking soda make a good combination - mix two parts baking soda to 1 part white vinegar, and pour it into the washing machine once it's filled with water before the first cycle.
Under the Sink
Another spot that is overlooked by most in the bathroom - the sink, or specifically, the area under the sink, especially if you have a cabinet underneath. Again, white vinegar - wipe it down with some white vinegar, and wipe it off with some water, that should do the trick. It might not be a bad idea to do it once in a while, even if you don't see apparent mold growth - vinegar does prevent mold from growing.
If you use a toothbrush holder, you might often wonder - why is the bottom of my toothbrush turning black? Well, that's mold for you. If you look into the toothbrush holder, you might see quite a ghastly scene. Just rinse and dry on a regular basis, to prevent mold from growing - if you found excessive growth on your toothbrush holder, some white vinegar wouldn't hurt.
Yes, toys. If you have a small kid at home, you would probably find them biting on their toys - not a good habit, but it does happen once in a while, Since mold thrives on wet surfaces, therefore it wouldn't be surprising to find moldy toys sometimes. Due to health concerns, it is of utmost importance to keep them mold-free whenever you can - sometimes, you can just toss them into the dishwasher if they can withstand some heat.
You can find rubber seals in various places - your fridge, the washing machine... they're there to keep the water in/out, and therefore they run a high risk of getting moldy after a while. If you start seeing weird white spots on the rubber seals, spray it with vinegar and let it sit for a while, then rinse it with water and let it dry properly.
Underneath the Wallpaper
Mold grows on walls - yes, even underneath the wallpaper sometimes. While it is not as obvious as other places, it still poses various health concerns, especially if you have certain allergies. Solution? Look out for gaps between wallpapers and see if there're moldy spots, and give it a good wipe once in a while. Better still, before you put on wallpapers, prime the area with a mold-inhibiting paint.
Yup, mattresses can also get moldy. Scary right? Considering you actually sleep on it every night. Again, if you start seeing weird spots on your mattress, that could be a sign of mold. Start by vacuuming the mattress and the nearby area to remove the spores, then give it a good clean by wiping it down with warm water and alcohol (do a spot test first), then wipe it again with water. Let it dry under the sun, and the mold should be gone in no time.
Under the Floor Mat
Remember coming home from a rainy day? You step on the floor mat with dirt and mud everywhere. While it is common for people to get rid of those, few of them actually look underneath the floor mat - that's where the excessive moisture gets trapped, which eventually led to mold growth. As you clean your floor mat, don't forget to remove it once in a while to let it dry.
These are some of the moldy spots at home? Did you take a look around already? Maybe it's time to clean your house. Do you know someone who lives in a humid area? Why not share this article with them?