10 Embarrassing Personal Care Examples of the Past
Personal care is something that has existed for many years, although the technology has advanced a lot and some people believe that only nowadays they pay attention to those details, the truth is that for many years people have been looking for a way to maintain their hygiene, although with unorthodox methods. In the following list you will see some of the procedures of the past and ask yourself, how did people survive these radical methods?
10. At first, the "toilets" were no more than ditches on the outskirts of homes, the first toilet in the form of stone holes filled with sand existed in Rome, but the Middle Age significantly degraded this culture. The first toilet was invented in 1590.
9. Contraceptive methods became necessary thanks to the American expedition of Columbus who also brought syphilis to Europe. It was known as "The French Disease," and the condom was invented in the 17th century to protect people.
8. The first attempts to perform an abortion were made with knitting needles, wire hooks or a spindle. Different chemicals were tried such as injecting iodine or silver into the uterus, but this had tragic consequences not only for the fetus.
7. In ancient times, shaving was necessary to avoid parasites or get rid of them. The process was carried out with shells, knives, wax, fire, daggers, axes or even sabers, so it was safer to leave the process in the hands of another person.
6. Feminine hygiene has evolved since ancient Egypt, where tampons made of wood and covered with papyrus were used. In World War I nurses began using absorbent medical paper, and this was the first step towards modern sanitary ware.
5. The first toothbrushes were wooden sticks with a broom end on one side and a sharp end on the other side. Some people used a cloth with limestone or even pieces of coal, but in the twentieth century, it was invented the toothbrush with synthetic hairs.
4. The first products against sweat come from the Middle East and Egypt and were basically aromatic oils. In Asia, the use of salt abounded, and in Europe, they hid the smell with perfumes. The first deodorant was invented in 1880 in the United States.
3. There is not much to say about this practice, because the reality is that people used to use a regular iron to try to smooth their hair. This, although useful, could cause severe skin burns.
2. Formerly, pieces of cloth or skin of animals were filled with dry grass, moss, straw or ashes to serve as diapers. It was an editor of the Vogue magazine that devised the prototype of modern diapers, and the first disposable Pampers appeared in 1961.
1. Skincare has always been essential for women, since ancient times, oils and essences were used to keep the skin of the face as young as possible, so at one time it was believed that masks like these were the best way to take care of the face.
Some of those situations become strange when you think about where we have come from over the years and technology, but at the same time, we appreciate the advancement of society or some of these methods of personal hygiene would still be taking many lives daily. Which of these methods do you think is the craziest? Can you imagine shaving with a hot dagger? Do not forget to tell us which of them surprised you the most and share this article with those lovers of neatness you know.